AALAS offers many resources which may aid you in your exam preparations, including training manuals, exam content outlines, reference lists, and both print and online study aids.
Technician Certification Handbook -
To prepare for your exam, you should study the following resources for your desired level of certification:
• Training manual
• ECO/reference list
• Training manual workbook/Learning Library course
The exam questions are derived from the training manuals and reference lists. Resources provided by AALAS can be purchased from www.aalas.org/store.
Exam Content Outlines - These outlines are intended as both a teaching guide for instructors and a study guide for exam candidates. However, formal classroom study is not sufficient preparation on for taking the certification exam. Work experience in an animal facility is also necessary for exam preparation, and in fact is one of the exam eligibility requirements. Ideally, work experience should include rotation through all areas of the animal facility to give the most opportunity for developing skills and knowledge related to a variety of species and work functions.
Exam Content Outlines (ECOs) and Reference Lists for the ALAT, LAT, and LATG are located here: www.aalas.org/certification/technician-certification
Reference Lists - What I should be studying for my certification exams
Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) Reference List
- ALAT Training Manual. American Association for Laboratory Animal Science. 2009
- Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, 8th edition. National Research Council. Institute for Laboratory Animal Resources. National Academy Press, Washington, DC. 2011. ISBN 0-3090-5377-3, http://www.nap.edu
Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT) Level Reference List
- Plus all ALAT materials
- LAT Training Manual. American Association for Laboratory Animal Science. 2012
- Public Health Service Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals. Public Health Service, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Bethesda National Institutes of Health, Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare, MD 2015, http://grants.nih.gov/grants/olaw/references/phspolicylabanimals.pdf
- Good Laboratory Practices for Nonclinical Laboratory Studies. CRF 21, Part 58, Subparts A-K., http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRsearch.cfm?CF... ; Code of Federal Regulations EPA 40 CFR Part 160: http://freepdfs.net/code-of-federal-regulations-epa-40-cfr-part-160-and-...
- AVMA Guidelines for the Euthanasia of Animals: 2013 Edition. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 2013, https://www.avma.org/KB/Policies/Documents/euthanasia.pdf
- Animal Welfare Regulations. Code of Federal Regulations, Title 9, Subchapter A, Parts 1-3 (9CFR 1-3) https://www.bids.tswg.gov/tswg/bids.nsf/d179fb382b180b5a852572b1005fa7eb/$file/title9_cfr_chpt1_subchpta_1-4.pdf
Laboratory Animal Technologist (LATG) Level Reference List
- Plus all ALAT & LAT materials
- LATG Training Manual. American Association for Laboratory Animal Science. 2007
- Occupational Health and Safety in the Care and Use of Research Animals. National Research Council, Institute for Laboratory Animal Resources. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, 1997. ISBN 0-3090-5299-8, http://www.nap.edu
Application Form: www.aalas.org/certification/technician-certification
CEU Submission Form: www.aalas.org/certification/ceusubmission
Repeat/Extension Application Form - This application form must be typed or legibly printed in ink. Application forms must be completed accurately and according to instructions. Illegible applications will be rejected and applicants will be notified by mail. If you have any questions about completing this application, please contact AALAS’ Certification Department at (901) 754-8620 or e-mail email@example.com
Certificate Reprint Form - There is a $30 fee per certificate
CE Activity List: www.aalas.org/certification/ceusubmission
Also try, LATTutor.com - This program was designed as a free study guide for the Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT) exam.
SIGN Up now to receive a daily question by email with the option of a bonus question, resulting in a total of two questions per day.
The program lasts for 60 days and you can unsubscribe at anytime or choose to do another round.